"Our challenges may be new. The instruments which we meet them maybe new. But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism-these things are old, these things are true." President Barack Obama
CHANGE HAS COME TO AMERICA If you don't believe it, you weren't watching the January 20th inauguration coverage. Many people voted for change including me. This week many saw the inspiring moment and unbelievable historical inauguration happened before our eyes. Barack Obama became the first African-American president of the United States. Mary McNamara, a Los Angeles Times columnist said ...."no amount of commentary could either diminish or embellish the incomparable size and energy level of the crowd smashed along the National Mall in Washington. An inauguration is always an event, but this one was a spectacle."
ARTISTIC STIMULUS IN ACTION President Obama has yet to finalize the economic stimulus package, but his inaugural festivities have given the arts- and the politically involved artists- a major boost. It was evident during swearing-in Tuesday with the crowd sprinkled with A-list celebrities, poets, singers, writers, artists, etc. Well, Obama is being called "The Artist's President." He's a positive president who's trying to use "political art" to be able to get his economic stimulus get approved fast. That's gives people lots of hope although in reality, our economy will not improve miraculously in days but years. I am glad that in his stimulus package, he included funding for such programs as the National Endowment For The Arts. The Dems say that inclusion of such item reflects their expansive view of how government can create jobs and make the economy moves forward. It was hard not to believe that something big was about to begin in the creative field.PAINTED IN U.S.A. This is the first oil painting I created when I immigrated to the U.S. in 1970. I was not married yet when I painted this. That explains why I signed it with my maiden name. The above panting is entitled "Serenade" or "Harana." It is a typical Philippine tradition. When a young man likes to express his devotion to a maiden, he serenades her with love songs and music. Despite many CHANGES in my life, this painting didn't CHANGE over the years. It's an old painting but still looking good.
MANY CHANGES OVER THE YEARS
1.I changed my painting style many times. In the beginning of my art career, I like contemporary art. Later I switched to realism. Today my style is a hybrid (mix of different styles). My style has hybrid identity-modernism, impressionism and realism.
2. I am always an adventurous artist who likes to take risks. I couldn't imagine living in the same house for twenty years. That's why our family moved seven times and lived in 7 different houses.
3. I like to travel and see the world around me. I get bored going to the same places more that five times.
4. I changed job many times. Although most of my past jobs were in graphic art, I enjoyed other jobs like flower arranging, gift wrapping and cake decorating.
5. I cook different food every other day. It's no fun eating left overs for more than two days.
6. I like to dine out in different restaurants and take a break from cooking. I like to taste and try other regional cooking like - American, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Italian, French, Mexican, etc. The ambiance and change of setting is uplifting
7. I tried every new technology to get my hearing back. I regained 80% of my lost hearing through cochlear implant. I wanted to change my silent world into a noisy world.
8. And of course, I am not scared of change. Change makes me feel alive, fresh and younger.
LET'S WELCOME CHANGE THIS NEW YEAR!!!!