SILVER ANNIVERSARY - Last October 25, 2008, we celebrated the special 25th anniversary of the Filipino-American Association of Santa Clarita Valley at Hyatt Valencia. The meaningful event was filled with beautiful memories. Prior to this event, I was hesitant to join the design contest for the cover of the souvenir program for the upcoming 25th celebration. I was extremely busy and rushing many oil paintings for my first solo art show. I was running out of time. One day, I went for a leisurely walk in our paseo and an idea was born for the cover. I based my oil painting on the anniversary theme "Sharing Traditions And Enriching Friendship." To make the story short, my painting won the coveted cover page by majority votes. It was a delightful experience. My prize? Not much? I was given a complimentary gift certificate from Goldilocks (a famous Filipino bake shop). I plan to indulge in their many delicious goodies this holiday. Another bonus, an opportunity to have my painting published on the lovely and glossy souvenir program.PAINTING FIRST SHOW This painting is among those new oil paintings unveiled to the public during my recent art show.
"SHARING TRADITIONS AND ENRICHING FRIENDSHIPS" This oil painting is 24" x 30," done on canvas. It is my winning entry for the cover of the the SCV Fil-Am 25th Anniversary souvenir program. It is about the happy times and traditions shared by the association for twenty five years here in Santa Clarita Valley. This is my artistic conception about the theme. For me celebrating twenty-five years of togetherness should be a very colorful event like this painting. This painting has many meaningful symbols.
1. The coconut tree brings to mind our beautiful country, the Philippines. The coconut tree is very graceful to paint. I bended the coconuts and shaped them into S & C letters-representing Santa Clarita.
2. Oak trees abound around the city. Someone said that Santa Clarita have more oak trees than Thousand Oaks. I painted them into the scene because it is a symbol of Santa Clarita. The city logo is dominated by a huge oak tree.
3. City of Santa Clarita - I painted this beautiful emerald city with many rolling hills. The six main areas are Valencia, Stevenson Ranch, Newhall, Canyon Country, Castaic and Saugus.
4. Huge yellow sun ----the symbol for leadership. The 25 sun rays represent the 25 presidents of the Filipino-American Association.
5. Hyatt Hotel and OLPH Catholic Church-----VIP (very important places) where many Filipino-American events were traditionally celebrated and will be celebrated.
6. Banquet of Food- Sharing food is a very important part of any Filipino tradition and celebration. Presentation is also very important. Food should be colorful and visually appealing. Most Filipino foods are monotonous with brownish tint. I pick-up foods that are not only delicious to look at, but to paint, such as Lechon (whole roasted pork), palabok (noodles), lumpia Shianghai, pot of rice, sinigang na hipon (shrimps) with vegetables, and tomato topiary. Desserts are halo-halo, leche flan, puto and kutsinta. Also native fruits like pineapple, bananas, avocado and American grapes.
7. Three-tired 25th anniversary cake---Highlights of the banquet table painted in silver tone with red roses and cascading silver drapes.
8. Traditional folk dances and guitarist add to the festivity. I painted "Fandango Sa Ilaw" and "Subli."
9. Filipino-American Association logo-It is painted below the party table.
ON THE SIGNAL This morning my son Ryan e-mailed me that I am on the SIGNAL, our local newspaper. That sounds exciting! I have never been on the newspaper before. At 10:00 a.m. I am driving crazily around town looking for a copy of the SIGNAL. We subscribed to the Los Angeles Times, so I wanted a copy of the SIGNAL so badly. I plan to buy as many available copies. I am disappointed that the SIGNAL are mostly gone. My last bet is the Ralphs supermarket. I dig into the file of newspapers and happily I found two copies. Then I open the paper on page #5 and so delighted to see myself and the above painting. The SIGNAL came out today with an article about the SCV Filipino-American Association 25th anniversary. If you are interested to know more about the event and see my painting please check the SIGNAL website: http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/5935/