Monday, July 8, 2013

YELLOW YEARS - MODERN ART #2

"Art evolves. So does life. Art is never stagnant. Neither is life. The beautiful, authentic life you are creating for yourself & those you love is your art. It's the highest art." - Sarah Ban Breathneath
 
 
"MODERN ART #2 - YELLOW, ORANGE AND OCHRES"
SIZE: 3 feet by 2 feet
MEDIUM: Oil On canvas
YEAR PAINTED: 1972
WHERE ABOUT? Donated

This oil painting was influenced by a favorite Filipino contemporary artist Jose Joya. I admired him while my professor at the U.P. School of Fine Arts. Joya "spearheaded the birth, growth and flowering of abstract expressionism" in the Philippines. His mature abstract works have been said to be "characterized by calligraphic gestures and linear forces, and a sense of color vibrancy emanating from an Oriental sensibility." Joya's sense of color has been said to have come from the hues of the Philippine landscape, and his use of rice paper in collages demonstrated an interest in transparency.
 

 

  ONE OF JOSE JOYA'S  ABSTRACT PAINTINGS
 

 
"Mother's hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts FOREVER."- Unknown
 
FIRST MOTHER'S DAY This photo was taken during my first Mother's Day on May 12, 1974. I was the young mother on the left side with my first baby (Rodney). He was born March 19,1974 and was only about 1 1/2 months old when this photo was taken. The other woman and children were our Argentine neighbors across the street.

This photo was taken inside our first house in Hidden Lake (Canoga Park) California. I painted the oil painting on the background. It depicted many Philippine folk dances.
Further back in the living room, was the "Modern Art #2" oil  painting. It was the centerpiece of our first home in Hidden Lake.
"You expect me to tell you what ART is? If I knew, I would keep my knowledge to myself."- Pablo Picasso


No comments: