Friday, July 5, 2013

EARLY MODERN PAINTING #2

"I hardly ever see my paintings around. I don't have the faintest idea where half of life's work is. Sometimes that worries me. We should have a museum specially built for retrospectives, it would be ten feet wide and a mile long, like a railway tunnel, and you could walk down some one's life chronologically." -Brett Whitley
 
 
FIRST PAINTING : "HARANA" OR "SERENADE"
SIZE: 18" x 24"
MEDIUM: Oil on Canvas
PERSONAL COLLECTION OF THE ARTIST
 
When I immigrated to the United States in 1969, I left all of my student oil paintings in Manila, Philippines. I took only my art portfolio, mostly advertising designs, which was my art major. I arrived with one big luggage and $60.00 cash given by a sister and an aunt from Hawaii. I had to start life all over again at 27 years old. I started painting in our studio apartment in Westwood, California, that I shared with my sister Ofel. This is my first painting called "SERENADE" or "HARANA." It is a typical Philippine tradition. When a young man likes to express his devotion to a maiden, he serenades her with love songs and music.

THANK GOD I still have this first painting with me. Signed w/ my maiden name.
 
"THANK YOU" for visiting my blog. I love getting your comment. Please click the comment down below this post. Please come back anytime.

No comments: