Friday, July 5, 2013

FOLK DANCE MEDLEY #1

“To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” - Osho
 

TITLE: "FOLK DANCE MEDLEY"
SIZE: 6 feet by 2 feet
YEAR PAINTED: 1972
MEDIUM: Oil On Canvas
GIFT: To Mr. & Mrs. Gasat Belo
 I created this huge vertical oil painting few years after I painted the "Reflections From My Homeland." I customized this specifically for a wall in our family room. When we moved to our second house next door, there was no available wall to hang it. So my eldest sister Perla inherited it from me.

This oil painting was a medley of different Philippine folk dances. The Philippines is a treasure land of folk dances. From the top - tinikling (bamboo dance), fandango, singkil (royal dance), and senyorita.

Fortunately, during a trip to Seattle, Washington last August 2008, I reconnected to this beautiful oil painting. Surprisingly, the painting was still good despite of traveling long distance. The colors look okay. But I think my anatomy was the "rookie" type. When I created this painting, I was still doing many figure studies. Even today, I continue to develop my skill in anatomy. It's good to know that my anatomy skill had improved over time. But figure drawing is not easy and it takes lots of practice to be very good at it.


ANOTHER VIEW - This painting was hanged on the side wall of the stairs leading up to the living room of my sister's house. It was difficult to get a frontal view. Anyway, I did miss this painting. Someday, I will re-create this painting in a smaller version.

No comments: