Saturday, August 11, 2007

ART OF CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN -3

"The art of seeing nature is a thing almost as much to be acquired as the art of reading Egyptian hieroglyphics." -Constable

BEAUTIFUL BARBADOS It is one of the few Caribbean islands solely colonized by one nation, England. No wonder, you'll hear English names like Worthy and Hastings or that you find a Trafalgar Square here. But look around and you'll know you're not in London. Barbados is rich and fertile tropical fields meet a glistening azure sea.

JOHN CONSTABLE was a leading English landscape painter. He is known mainly for his paintings of the rural areas of Southern England. Constable emphasized such environmental features as the appearance of the sky and clouds, and the effects of lights and shadow on the landscape. He believed such features in a painting reflected nature accurately. Constable fresh style influenced the Impressionist painters. Constable used vivid colors in many of his earlier paintings. After his wife died, he painted a number of dark, moody pictures that reflected his depression. There is no other artist more qualified to be our imaginary tour guide of Barbados than Constable. Let's trust his artistic eyes, so we can see natural landscapes at its best.

B.........................BEAUTIFUL
A........................ATTRACTIVE, ALIVE, ALLURING
R........................REJUVENATING
B........................BATHING BEAUTY
A........................ARTISTIC
D........................DELIGHTFUL
O........................OLD-FASHIONED
S........................SPECTACULAR
BEAUTIFUL BRIDGETOWN With colorful buildings. this small downtown will transport you to Trafalgar Square in London. Sometimes called "England in the Caribbean." This town is graced with such sights as Heroes Square and the Houses of Parliament. But it's the vibrant Caribbean colors that makes this island beautiful to the eyes.

ATTRACTIVE BARBADOS LANDSCAPE This attractive rural setting will get your attention and inspire you to start painting like the Impressionists artists. The Impressionist don't see and paint things as they are, but as how they feel about it. You don't have to be as skillful as Constable. You can paint like the impressionist. Paint what you feel.
ALIVE! What will make you feel more alive in this island? Not Starbucks coffee! But swaying palms and colorful Caribbean beach towels with vibrant patterns and prints. Think bold colors - deep orange, red, blue, purple and green. All these palette of colors are not imaginary. Just look around you and you'll see naturally bold colors dancing everywhere. Bright colors send the eyes dancing and the heart pumping.

REJUVENATING SUNSET Nothing is more rejuvenating to the body, soul and spirit than basking in the colorful glow of a legendary Caribbean sunset. This, I thought, is what Heaven is like, a vast expanse filled with beauty. Everywhere, I looked, my vision was filled with dizzying array of orange and yellow in every shade, tint, gleaming in a kaleidoscope of dazzling sunset color.

BATHING BEAUTY Oh beautiful! Just beautiful! This beguiling huge rock is named after a beautiful woman named BATHSHEBA. If you remember your Bible story, Bathsheba was the bathing beauty that made King David fall into sin. You'll feel good when you look at "Bathsheba" but men "Beware!"

ARTISTIC ROCK This artistic, natural rock is created by Mother Nature. Not even Michelangelo can create something like this.

DELIGHTFUL OCEAN VIEW This is a real gem you won't want to miss, and become part of the delightful cutting-edge seascape. Many of the beautiful views shown on my blog were photographed by my husband. This view is taken 800 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. My husband is not an artist but has a good photographic eyes. Photography is one of his hobbies. With practice he is able to capture, delightful Barbados landscapes and seascapes in just few seconds. Its ironic that it took Constable months or years to paint his many English landscapes. During his time, there was no digital camera yet.

OLD-FASHIONED CHURCH Visited and discovered St. John's Church perched 800 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. This old church reminded us of Westminster Abbey in London. This is a mini-version of that great cathedral. Like the Abbey this very old church has tombs inside and is surrounded with grave yards. It looks creepy if not for the beautiful ocean view below.

OLD-FASHIONED GRAVEYARD This graveyard is artistically landscaped with creepy-looking trees. I wonder why artist don't paint graveyards.

SPECTACULAR VIEWS OF THE CARIBBEAN FROM BARBADOS This spectacular view of sky and sea is a nice stand-in for a Constable painting without the palm tree and a ship. Although this is not a Constable painting, the setting truly inspired me. There are other ways to be inspired but for me the SEA is number one. The place I feel more serene and relax are always by the sea.

PARTING THOUGHT: I read a story about a man who picked up an old, dried-out starfish. With great care he put it back in the sea. He said, "Oh, its just dried out but when it gets moisture again, it's going to come back to life." Many times, we get to the point where we sort of dry out, and all we need is a little more moisture to get started again. For me, after a cruise and seeing vast ocean, I am raring to get back to my easel, paintbrushes and writing. My creative juices started flowing again.

32 comments:

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

Thede bwords and pictures I needed today Ran out of insulen walked three miles for it felt like an idiot to get in that position your blog today helped me to recunsentrat

harriett said...

Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures and your inspirational thoughts. Seeing them has revived me - I live in the Southeast and we have endured 100+ degree days for a week now, and I'm feeling dried out like that starfish! I too can find great peace and relaxation at the ocean, and I love John Constable's work! Good post.

Ebb Tide said...

Thanks Harriet for your wonderful comment. Many thinks that artist never dry out. But not me. I am easyly dried out due to routine and other problems. I constantly needed a liitle moisture to keep me painting.

Ebb Tide said...

Llyod thanks for dropping by. Glad to know my art blog helped you reconsencrate.

Learning Team said...

Hi Ebb

what a wonderful place...I hope i will be able to visit this place before I die.... (lol) I love the colours...especially the combination of blue and orange....love it....and you describe it beautifully.....

best regards MM

Ebb Tide said...

Hi MM! Thanks for your beautiful comment.I wish all my friends and fellow-bloggeres will see this beautiful island. Someday, pls. don't forget to send me a posctcard.

TOMAS said...

Dear Ebb,
Thank you for the comments on my blog. It was a great pleasure to read your words.
I enjoy your blog too. What a wonderful places. The views catch the eye and your comments make the visual story cry. Wow, that's great.

My concrete situation doesn’t allow me travel much, all my travels are the mental and my landscapes are the symbols of space and time. You are welcomed to view the DVD of my pictures. Just click on the link http://trans4mind.com/karkalas/ and you will have good time there.

Thank you once more for your visiting my blog. Your comments have refreshed me and I can describe myself with the ending line of your post "My creative juices started flowing again" Thank you.

Ebb Tide said...

Tom, thanks for your wonderful comment. I like what you said that..."that the views catch the eye and your comments maker the visual story cry." You're really an artist to noice it and be touched by it.

Anonymous said...

I am at home now. I took a day off so I took my time reading your blog and getting updated with what's new in your family. Thanks for sharing the good things about your family. They are really an inspiration. Shalom and keep up your "blogging."

Ebb Tide said...

Hi Lina! Thanks for taking the timereading my blog. It's always a pleasure to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday! We are doing great. I will definitely give my parents the link to your blog... thats if, they know how to even use the computer! Haha. I will help guide them, so i can share it to Mark and my parents. I will be thinkoing of you.

Ebb Tide said...

Thanks Emmy. I hope you'll be able to teach your parents how to use the computer. It's not too late to start learning new tech. It takes time and practice and you'll get there.

palma tayona said...

i came across your blog as i was surfing. though i have NEVER been to barbados, i so love the colors. they're so explosive and wonderful. beautiful...

p.s. i believe you mentioned somewhere that you were a u.p. art student as well? :-)

Photowalker said...

Wonderful shots. I love the sunset & ocean view pictures. Paradise indeed.

Ebb Tide said...

Welcome to my blog, Photowalker!
Glad to know you like the photo of the sunset and ocean. Visit again.

Ebb Tide said...

Welcome to mt blog Daniel. I am glad you love the colorful photos. Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I graduated from U.P. w/ a Fine Arts degree. I majored in editorial and advertising design. I looked into your profile and discovered you're in visual art. Mabuti! So, we have the same interest, huh? Visit again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom! I enjoy reading your blog, comments and viewing the pictures. It is good you have lots of viewers and folks who post comments. It's really hard work to keep new content and keep readers coming back. So good job on putting it together. Keep it up.

Ebb Tide said...

Rodney, thanks for dropping by. Thanks for your nice comment. I will try to keep my blog new and fresh.

palma tayona said...

thank you for your kind words.

i was surfing through some favorite blogsites and i saw your url. thought i drop by and put some words myself.

yes, i do owe a lot to the latino influence as far as what i do is concerned. i feel a strong connection with that culture.

i envy too the fact that you've been able to enjoy those places you've mentioned in your travels. perhaps one day, i too will have that chance. but for now, i simply let my imagination do the travelling for me. :-)

cheers from manila!

palma tayona said...

we all have stories to tell. some do it by words. some by pictures. some do it by gestures. no matter whatever way one does it, methinks life becomes interesting if there are more stories to tell. :-)

cheers!
___

p.s.

this blogging sure is a nice way to "travel" through another peson's eyes and lens without having to leave ones seat. i so love the pictures of your travels.

Anonymous said...

nice photos... iba tlaga pag artist hehe... always got an eye...

Ebb Tide said...

Hi Daniel! Love your comments. Each artist have different influences. Although I have been an American citizen I have never forgotten my Filipino culture. Like you, I feel a strong connection to Latin and Mexican Art because of our Spanish influence. I love the Southwest Art here in U.S. and that's the theme of most of my paintings. Their arts stirs my soul.

Ebb Tide said...

Hi Daniel! I am happy to connect to you. Your comments are very interesting. Yes, we can travel without going the distance. If we look at the world through the eyes of many artist, it's even better. I wish you lots of success in your art career. You're still young and have lots of opportunity to travel. Someday, will come sooner.

Ebb Tide said...

Thanks Kneeko. That's why many people admired artists. We see and feel things "artistically." Salamat, for putting my name back in your blog-mates.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at my own pictures of Barbados...love eating fresh coconut and sipping ice cold coconut juice...
How true at the end of the day after doing all the mundane chores.. swimming in our neighborhood pool reenergnizes me for the next day.

Ebb Tide said...

Hi anonymous! We saw lots of coconut palms in Barbados but didn't have the chance to eat one or drink cococut juice. The chance came when we were in Antigua. I'll try to post those fresh coconuts by the beach in future blog. You'll love them. Yes, it's true that after breaking away from our routine, we are reenergized.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo of Bathsheba! I am an angel but not as alluring as Batsheba. So I'd like to whisper and warn the men..."good to look at bathing beauties....but beware!" Just want to add humor to your day and be happy.

Mari said...

Beautiful, beautiful Barbados. I have not been there, but I can tell by the pictures and descriptions that it is a beautiful place.

Way to go with your blogging.

Ebb Tide said...

Mari, thanks for your comment. It's short but beautiful. Just got back from Carmel last night.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog-so much info, great pix and memories.

Anonymous said...

eyy ebb... no update yet?

have anice weekend to you and your family...

Ebb Tide said...

Wake up Kneeko! I already posted my 4th series. You visited this post already. You didn't go to the 4th. I will be posting my 5th series soon.