Sunday, September 1, 2013

SOUTHWEST YEARS - SERIES #7

"Nature furnishes a rich assortment of shapes, textures, colors, values and movements to choose from....I paint to interpret nature, not to copy it." - Edward E. Herrmann

A VISIT TO THE WESTERN ART MUSEUM Many years ago, while visiting the Gene Autry Western Art Museum in Los Angeles, California, I bought a greeting card with a view of an impressionistic landscape with cactus. I was inspired by its vibrant colors and one day I painted this Southwest colorscape. Down below was the outcome was my version of the original. I was fascinated by the tender hues of turquoise cactus , the brightest pink burst of tiny flower, the slender thorns that remind one to keep a distance. The emerging background of deep purple plateau and vast sky golden with heat had captured me too.


TITLE: "COLORFUL SOUTHWEST CACTUSCAPE"
SIZE: 16" x 20"
MEDIUM: Oil on Canvas
Personal collection of the artist

ABOUT THE ORIGINAL ARTIST The original vivid impressionistic landscape was painted by Edward Herrmann. He was inspired by the magic of the changing seasons, the variegated influences of light and Nature's mutable moods.The painter has bold brush strokes and careful eye for detail. He strives for a deep sense of vitality. His paintings invite one to move through the rich texture, to experience the emotional resonances of a particular landscape. He said "A painting changes as one's thought change. It moves as the viewers mind moves, becoming alive only through the person looking at it." Someday, I hope I'll have the chance to meet this artist and tell him how much I was inspired by his painting. Copying someones art work is a great compliment.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Southwest colorscapes are truly exhilarating. Good suject and nice painting.

Ebb Tide said...

AA-thanks for your nice compliment.

SandyCarlson said...

You bring this artist's work to life. I have never heard of him. I will look at what he had done, though. Thanks for the education and the inspiration. God bless.

Anonymous said...

vibrant painting... :P you did it again ebb! i miss your art site. take care always!

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

bstracts are more difficult

Ebb Tide said...

Hi Sandy! Edward deserved recognition for his art works. My latest info about him was that he relocated to Arizona. I go to Arizona at least twice a year but haven't had a clue about his latest work.

Ebb Tide said...

Kneeko-thanks for dropping by. I missed your blog too and I am glad you're trying to make a comeback.

Ebb Tide said...

Hu Lloyd! You think abstracts are more difficult? I think art is difficult whether abstract or realistic.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to see a different direction in your painting style.
You have a good grasps of modern art although this painting was inspired by another artist.

Ebb Tide said...

Angel-thanks for noticing my change of style in this painting. I like to have different style. I could paint realistically but sometimes it's good to detour.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Friend. I think if you came to the Mark Twain house you would be very impressed by the wall paper! Tiffany's stencil work has a wonderfully southwestern feel to it. The rich reds and the magic of the place would inspire you, I believe!

Ebb Tide said...

Sandy-I will surely visit Mark Twain's house when I go back to Hartford someday. I believe it will surely inspire me. Thanks for another visit and comment.

Anonymous said...

Your painting is very inspiring and colors uplifting.

Ebb Tide said...

Ligaya-thanks for your wonderful comment. A good line to keep me refresh in a hot day like this.

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

Hot, Stormy and in the 70s here! AH,HA!!