Friday, July 5, 2013

YELLOW YEARS - "LOVE" PAINTING


 
"Love is saying your marriage vow seriously........"for better or for worst, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, for richer or poorer...... till death do us part." -Anonymous


TITLE: "LOVE"
SIZE: 4 feet x 4 feet
MEDIUM: Oil On canvas
YEAR PAINTED: 1972

I created this huge "LOVE" oil painting when my husband and I moved to our first house at the Hidden Lake in Canoga Park (San Fernando Valley, California). I custom made this "LOVE" and painted it specifically for our bedroom wall.  The concept of LOVE has been explored by many artists throughout history. Some of my own paintings and drawings are based on this theme.

These lovable kids (Rodney and Joy) were not born yet. I matched the painting with the color of our king size bedspread. The original design was painted in RED and BLUE. For our bedroom I changed the colors. Painted in YELLOW OCHRE, RUST, and MEDIUM BROWN for background. We removed the bedspread during photo session.  The "LOVE" painting was the beautiful background for the photo Rodney and Joy. Taken when Rodney was 2 yrs. old.  Joy was 1 yr. old. 
 
Have no idea what happened to this "LOVE" painting. I no longer remember what I did with it. I might have repainted the canvas with another art work. I am glad I still have a photo of this old painting. Our first home have so many memories and this painting was part of it. I wish I still have this painting and didn't part with it. Someday, I will create a smaller version of this "LOVE" painting.
 
  
                       This is our beautiful baby daughter "JOY!" What a cute SMILE!
"LOVE" ART  - My "LOVE" painting above was not my original design. I saw the original and famous LOVE painting and sculpture  at Scottsdale, Arizona. On display on a public park. In the 80's this LOVE icon became famous. There were many posters everywhere. It also became a cover for the popular book "Love Story." The poster inspired me to paint "LOVE" in the background.
 
love sculpture valentines day









 
This painting was also inspired by a Christmas card designed by Robert Indiana for the Museum of Modern Art, for which he made 3 small paintings of the word LOVE. These cards were printed in 1965. Have been the most popular card MoMa has ever published. Since then LOVE has become a cultural icon and has been used extensively throughout the art world and media. Truly, it's LOVE that makes the world go round. And the famous artist Vincent Van Gogh.

"LOVE many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever LOVE much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in LOVE is done well."- Vincent van Gogh

 "I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to LOVE people."-Vincent van Gogh ( Post-impressionists painter)

No comments: